Tuesday, January 13, 2015

0

Post Christmas: A Bad Start

A month ago, I was packing my baggage for my Christmas holidays. Even though I had to travel over 50 hours to reach my home sweet destination, the excitement that carries with the feeling of meeting old friends, the simple thought of Christmas, and the feeling of being home exceeds all. After a prolong wait for the semester exam to get over, I  wished my friends an early “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year”, bade goodbyes and zoom away.

I did not left Delhi soon after though. When I reach the train station, I came to know that my train was delayed for 5 hours and 15 minutes. It was near midnight by then. I have no option but to spend the night at the station. I move around the station aimlessly. Counting every second as it passed by, it was an endless night. People were all around me sleeping their night away peacefully. I couldn’t sleep. I was not accustomed to spend my night like this. The cold added to my sleeplessness. The chilly winter cold of Delhi can be daunting, it bites you to the bone. The ordeal ended the next morning when we start-off the journey.

A month later, I am back to Delhi. I am back to my hostel. The cold still bites and I waited for that time of the year where the cold is left with no courage to bite you any longer. It is not summer. I do not mean Delhi’s summer, mind you. I love winter, and hate it at the same time, so is summer. The reasons of which are obvious. Every season has its side, probably this is what nature is meant to be.

My fourth semester has started a week ago. I have not attended any classes till now. The whole week I rarely go out of my hostel. Watching movies, eating and sleeping, the days went by. I do not know if there is a medical term for this, but a certain kind of weakness came over me. I could no longer stand on one leg, I have difficulty stepping to my bed from the floor, I could not rise up without the support of my hand. I am naturally thin, and I consider myself healthy but I have now turn into a solid rigid body. And so yesterday morning, I was on my way to college. I was a little late and I do not want to miss any classes on the first day, so I tried to run. I had forgotten that a weakness still reign over my body. I lifted my right leg, and I realized then that I couldn’t lift my left leg like I used to. I stumbled and as I do not have the strength to support myself, fall flatly on the ground. I do not feel any pain and so I reckoned there was no injury. However, some minutes later, I start to feel some pain on my left toe. I had put on socks because of the cold. I remove my shoes but not the socks to check if there was blood or anything as such. I see nothing wrong and so I move on to the metro station. Minutes later, the pain becomes unbearable and I started to feel nauseous. I feel like vomiting and my head starts getting dizzy. Everything become blurry and I knew something was very wrong. I stepped out of the metro at the next station, rest for a while and remove my socks to see the inevitable. The nail on my big toe was all dark, ohh, what a sight. I must have stumbled on something hard. I took first aid and slowly went back to my hostel. Few hours later the pain become unbearable. Ouch… Because of the pain, I couldn’t even sleep at night.

4 days on, today I am feeling a little better. I do not know how long it will take before I am out of this ordeal. What a bad way to start off my semester. Hoping for a restart to solve this. And by the way, my strength seem to have come back to me. I can stand on one leg, and do all the things that I wasn’t able to do few days ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment