Friday, June 6, 2014

0

A plan-less Summer

My second semester exam got over two weeks ago. As I came out of the exam hall after every paper, I was asked how my paper went. I would give the same reply every time every day- not too good, but the best I could do, wait for the result. To be honest, preparation for every paper was not satisfactory. There were gaps for days between papers, best suited for movie marathon instead of studying. A boring movie become exciting during exam season. Any paper of mine was not to the level of getting even an A-, but like my reply, I cannot do better than that. Maybe my mind is full, and I cannot take more.

A question I seldom asked myself why I never bother to update or post something on a blog I made. Everything seems interesting and lively at first, but with the passing time, it began to die down. This line seems relatable with human relationship, ahhh… There might be many insidious reasons why I didn’t bother to post here. It might be because this blog is boring (yeah I know that anyway), or it might be because I was busy (No, I wasn’t), it also might be because I have nothing to write (haha hell yeah), or maybe my internet connection was down (Yeah, goodwill of a neighbour, giving me free unlimited wifi for over a week now. Or else I might still be underground).

As I crossed the college gate on the day my semester exam got over, everyone was discussing what they are going to do during the summer. Some were going home, some were going for vacation, some for internship. When asked what I will be doing during the break, I told them that I would be in Delhi beating the summer’s heat of Delhi. I did not have any plan then. I do not usually make plans. I take each day with what life gives me.

The break starts, we do not come to college anymore, we do not see each other’s faces anymore. The common thing that binds us all was Facebook. Very soon, Updates from friends with status like “hooooooommmmeeeeeeeee….”, “finally”, “Paris <3 J'arrive ”, etc. filled my homepage. Some were checking in at IGI International Airport, some at New Delhi Railway Station and some at an airport in another country. Soon, they started uploading their photos with location tag – Shimla, Darjeeling, Andaman, New York, etc. The whole time I was in Delhi, the temperature rising each day. Today’s headline goes- “Delhi’s hottest day in 15 years”. Next day headline – “Delhi heating up, hotter and hotter”. The next day headline – “Delhi mercury to rise higher”, and so on.

I am a movie buff. Hollywood romantic comedy tops my list, followed by Hollywood action, drama, documentary or just anything Hollywood except horror movie which I have no taste. Though I like Indian stars like Priyanka Chopra, Alia Bhatt, Parineeti Chopra, Kareena Kapoor, Anushka Sharma, and so on, I was never a fan of Bollywood. I am not sure what intrigued me to start watching Bollywood, but during this two-week times I have watched over 20 Bollywood movies. All thanks to my neighbour, my torrent feed has always some movies downloading and I never ran out of movies to watch. With subtitles, everything is cool. In some movies, there will be shots from places I have seen with my eyes. To me, this is a nice feeling. Though movies from the late 1990s and early 2000s are amazing, I prefer to watch movies of 2010s.

So anyway, I still have around a month and a half until semester starts. My brother has been telling me I should work and earn for my pocket money. Being from a low-income middle class family with no government employee in the family, self-earning is always the answer if I want to buy something costly. Though my parents never refused any of my demand, sometimes I feel bad myself and shattered that they do not have much source of income back home. My brother said I should get a job in a call centre and maybe buy myself some new clothes and other things I have been longing for long. Everybody needs money. I do. But I do not want to do that. The truth is, I have experience ‘that’. After my 12th, my parents, relatives, elders, everybody wanted me to become a doctor. I went to Imphal to take coaching for a medical examination. After a long four months stay there, I began to realize that being a doctor was not the life I wanted. I came home and told my parents all about it. They were not happy at first. Those four months had become useless. I have spent my time and their money. I came to Delhi with no after thought of the outcome. I tried to earn. I went for interview and got a job. The only job for a twelfth passed and someone who does not know how to speak Hindi is to work at a call centre. I had a good time meeting new friends, working in a fancy building on the fifth floor, speaking a Canadian accent, adjusting to the time zone of the West, everything was so much fun. Barely after a month had passed, the fun began to died down, pressure came up from every corner, the salary was not handsome when compared to the amount of work we did, we were required to achieve a “Sale” or two every day (night). We were treated like machines. We are humans. We have a body which needed rest. I gave up. Period.

I gave up, and I am not ready to go in again yet. I have a life.

I have a craze for travelling since ages. Though I haven’t really travelled to much places, I am going to start the journey. This one and a half month seem like the perfect break to go for one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment